St. Martin's specialty : Locri
When Saint-Martiners gather for festive occasions this combination of chicken and rice is often on the menu.
-> 3 pound of chicken (legs and thighs)
-> 2 lime
-> 1 tablespoon sugar
-> 1 tablespoon butter
-> 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
-> 2 celery stalks diced
-> 2 carrots diced
-> 1 can of corn
-> 2 tomatoes peeled and chopped
-> 2 cloves garlic minced
-> A sprig of thyme
-> 2 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
-> 1 onion chopped
-> 1 tablespoon salt
-> 3 ¾ cups water
-> 2 chicken bouillon cubes
-> 1 ½ cups rice
-> Dash of Tabasco sauce
• Rub the chicken with 2 or 3 tablespoons of lime juice.
• Brown it lightly in a mixture of sugar, butter and tomato paste.
• Add to the chicken the celery diced,the carrots, the corn, the tomatoes peeled and chopped, the cloves garlic minced, the thyme, the onion chopped, Worcestershire sauce and 1/2 tablespoon salt.
• Simmer ingredients gently over a low flame until the chicken is tender.
• Add a few tablespoons full of water if necessary to prevent sticking.
• Place in a heavy kettle : the 3 ¾ cups water, 1/2 tablespoon salt and the chicken bouillon cubes.
• Bring the water to a boil and add the rice. Add the chicken.
• Reduce flame and simmer for 20 minutes until water is absorbed tossing lightly together.
Serve the dish hot!