Focus on the Catholic Church in Marigot
The church was built in 1941 on the road to Fort Louis.
Before this date, and given the predominance of the Anglo-Saxon, mainly Protestant religion, Christian catholic were minority and did not have any worship place.
The first priest arrived in Saint Martin in 1936.
In 1941, Father Wall began his functions in Saint Martin and undertook the construction of the church in Marigot.
He also built the church in Grand-Case about at the same time and with the same techniques, using stone and lime.
In 1971, extensions, in particular the presbytery, were added to Marigot Church.
Very recently, as part of a school project, the small chapel adjoining the presbytery has been fully renovated by youth from Saint Martin, supervised by Compagnons de France, following the construction techniques of mid twentieth century.